Week 9 Notes – Tu
- Guest Lecture, Malcolm Parks – research on MySpace profiles
- Discussion Leader (1)
- Notes for Thursday:
Notes on Mac’s Lecture
- Researching online relationships for 10 year
- Why mySpace? 5th largest destination; leads market; about 1K profiles in study
- Most are 15-20 yo ; median is 21 yo
- Walk thru several profiles
- Quotes from Time and Forbes
- Random choice of two large networkers – both have very local networks
- Use of mySpace as a high school facebook?
- Disclosure of personal behavior (use of alcohol, drugs, cigarettes)
- Workable boundaries?
- “False sense of privacy” (Mac)
- MySpace discloses sexual predators