Week 1 – Wednesday
Lab attendance is required this week.
Reminder: we are in CMU302 and CMU304.
Notes on the short lecture:
- For more about the blog genre, see How Can We Measure the Influence of the Blogosphere, pdf
- For more about folksonomy, see Folksonomies Tap People Power and/or Folksonomies – Cooperative Collaboration and Communication Through Shared Meta-Data
- Taxonomy is the classification or categorization of things.
1) Create student blogs using Word Press. By using blogging software to reflect on your readings, you practice using this new technology. By customizing your blog space, you develop your personal design aesthetic. By categorizing blog posts, you are becoming literate about Web 2.0 technologies and folksonomy.
- Create your blog! Go to Word Press ; select the new account button.
- Use your UWNetID as your login/member name. This will make your WordPress URL <uwnetid.wordpress.com>
- Use an email account that you can access in the lab, because you will not be able to move to the next steps until you activate the blog by clicking on a link in an email from WordPress.
- Activate your blog (log in to your email account and find the WordPress mail that contains instructions)
- Customize your blog. Required settings:
- Make the name (separate from your login) distinctive (not “Com300″!). This setting is found under “options – general”
- Change the time (options-general) to -8 Greenwich Mean Time so that we all have the same timestamp
- Create the following categories (manage – categories). We will be categorizing all blog entries
- Discussion Leader
- Recommended settings:
- Make the blog public but not included in search engines or public listings (unless you want the outside world – strangers – to easily view your blog!) – This setting is found under “options – privacy”
- To avoid spam, enable “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” – This setting is found under “options – general”
- Edit the existing comment (Comments) by “unapproving” the existing comment. How does this change the appearance of the administration page? How does it change the appearance of the blog post?
- Edit the existing post. (Manage – Posts). Answer the above questions. :) Categorize the blog post “assignment”
- Edit the blogroll (Blogroll).
- Add links to 2-3 of your favorite websites.
- Add these the links (copy & paste!)
- COM300 Website – https://com300.wordpress.com/
- Discussion Groups – https://com300.wordpress.com/student-blogs/discussion-leader-posts/
- Tips, How-Tos – http://kegill.wordpress.com/
- Create a new page (Write-Page). The title should be “COM300.” Write something about this page being your COM300 home page. Click “publish”.
- Change the design (presentation tab)
- Be sure your design shows this minimum set of “sidebar widgets”. You can change the elements in the sidebars by playing around with the widgets.
- Links (the blogroll)
- Recent comments
- Recent posts
- Congratulations! You have now created a website that integrates static pages with blog posts!
- Create a new blog post (Write-Post), 200-300 words on how you use digital media in your life everyday. (We will talk about this on Monday.) Categorize the blog post “assignment” and then “publish”
- Before 6.20 pm, e-mail this blog post URL (permalink) to me at kegill – at – uw
2) Now that your blog has been set up, you are ready to complete Monday’s reading assignment. Have a great weekend!
For WordPress help, see these tips.