Week 6 – Wednesday
- Remaining Discussion Leaders (present to full class)
- Social media & news/information
- Extra-Credit opportunity (added to syllabus)
- Lab – essay 2 work
Social Media & News/Information:
- Social Media: Citizen Journalism
- Social Media: Wikipedia
- When does “information” become “news”? How is this form of collaborative creation like “journalism”?
- How Wikipedia works (demo history and then discussion/talk)
- How to make judgments about Wikipedia articles (discuss notes, external sources, number of contributors)
- The licensing (GNU Public Documentation) is clearly different from traditional media (exclusive rights A.K.A. copyright)
- Other resources/links:
Today’s In-Lab Assignment:
- Review the GNU Public Documentation License at Wikipedia and the Creative Commons initiative and licensing options.
- Think about the technologies (eg, wiki and blogging software; the infrastructure — which began with the telegraph — that facilitates geographically-disbursed, collaborative work) that underpin these evolving forms of communication.
- Create a blog post where you reflect on the interplay between technology and society … as well as make some forecasts about how these technological and social forces might re-shape “the news.” It doesn’t need to be very long, merely thoughtful. Categorize it as “assignment.”