Week 4 – Monday
- This Week’s Assignment
- Slideshare demo & Comment Practice
- One-on-one with Discussion Group 1
- Posts of note this week: Ashika, John, Madeline and Sarah (headline and content), Robert (strike-through), Chad (relating to life), Rob (illustrated – remember to credit images!)
- Questions of note: Katarina, Quoc, Rylan, Shane, Tyler
- Your Questions
- Gradesheet updated (please check!)
- David Pouge – TEDTalk, 2006
- Ethan Zuckerman – History of the Internet (subtitled: we use tools to communicate, even if the network wasn’t designed for it!)
- Other technologies developed for military use that have become popular in the civilian world: Jeeps! Computers! More recently: low light imaging cameras and other commercial applications (pdf). Space program spin-offs. Technology transfer programs and policy
- Resource: “Introduction to Internet Architecture and Institutions” from Berkman Center for Internet and Society by Ethan Zuckerman and Andrew McLaughin (Aug 2003)
- How has the creation of email and instant messaging affected the way that you talk to your friends and family?
- With almost everything digital or electrical and computer-assisted, what is something in in your life that you use on a daily basis that is not?
- In what ways are you frustrated by technology? In those instances is there an “analog” process that you turn to instead?
- Suppose a time machine were built. Would it be harder for a person from 1709 to adapt to 2009, or a person from 2009 to adapt to 1709? Why?
- How have you noticed the way you interact with technology change over the last 5, 10, or 20 years?
- Discussion Leaders
- Lab: RSS
- Lab: Work on first essay