Week 2 – June 27 (Monday)
Agenda – Evolution of Digital Communication
- New students : round 2 introductions (please complete this survey if you have not done so)
- Pick-and-chose update (new options)
- Assignment recap:
- Reminder: you must post a URL for each assignment using the Assignment Submittal Form — otherwise, there is no credit for the assignment – the submittal form is published as a web page so that you can see your assignments
- Full link to the assignment post (not the blog home page)
- Not a link to your edit view – no one else can see that! The edit URL will have a “?” in it like this:
something.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=10&action=edit (the number is unique to each post). See this screen grab for an easy way to get the blog post url.
- Those who did not submit today’s reading post by 9 am – post now (lose 5 points for being late); the two “edit” posters – post correct link for full credit
- Need email addresses used with WP blog – TypeWith.me
- email reminder
Please use clear subject lines and you must include “COM300 or COM 300″ — send to kegill @ u…..edu. Please sign the email with your first name. If you have an urgent question, say so in the subject line. I try to return email within 24 hours M-Th. If I have not answered in that period, resend with a different subject line and cc kegill — gmail.com
- Adam, Anneka: please see Wed’s post on WordPress configuration and turn comment moderation “off”
- Adam, Danny : please change the name of your blog to something other than “COM300….”
- Marquis De’Von Stevens, Sean McGuire, Sooyeon Park : need to add your blog to TypeWith.Me document
- TIP: Writing for the web: conversational + visual chunks. Paragraph formatting is VERY important here! Get friendly with your return key!
- Lecture (PPT)
- Q: Would you like to participate in this webinar today (maybe)?
Day 1: Monday, June 27th, 1pm – 2pm PT
You’ll learn the basics of setting up your Twitter account, including:
- What kind of account to create (as a person or as a business)
- The account creation process
- Identifying your first people to follow
- Finding good material to Tweet
- How you use media: phone (12), Skype (3), iPod (1), iPad (1)
Collaboration document (we’ll work on this Mon and Wed)
- Questions for discussion
- What are some positive and negative aspects of communication technology development? Immediate information, consumerism, world market, impatience?
- With the economic downturn post-Internet proliferation, newspapers are shutting-down en masse. Why didn’t they keep innovating?
- Fidler quotes Thoreau: “Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things.” How well does Thoreau’s warning align with your beliefs?
- Mediamorphosis made reference to the 1755 Lisbon earthquake and how delayed reports of a tragedy like that would never be possible in today’s information-driven society. How has the fact that we are now pummeled constantly with “breaking news” and 24-hour in-depth coverage affected our response to tragedies?
Wednesday Lab (tentative)
- Net Technologies (alphabet soup)
- Practice commenting on one another’s blog posts
- Begins Wednesday in class : Media Consumption Diary – June 29, June 30, July 1 (Wed noon – Fri noon) – students to maintain daily diary of media consumption : internet, phone, TV, radio, newspapers, etc.
- Wednesday in class : Discussion Leader discussion and sign up