Week 3 – July 6 (Wednesday)
Agenda – Info Overload
- If your blog title is still “COM300…” — please change it today! (third request)
- Discussion Leader Signup — most folks didn’t sign up — so I’ve simply assigned weeks. Feel free to trade amongst yourselves but advise me of any changes, please. The list is on the “Students” page. Next Wednesday we’ll have the first group (only three students – each other session will have five – unless there is a student who would like to be added to next week’s schedule).
- Folks: you HAVE to select your name! I have too many people who are ‘signed’ as Adam ….
- Assignment summary (a lot of you did not do the media diet assignment)
- Howard Rheingold on infotention (part 1, part 2, part 3)
- What is information overload?
- What are coping mechanisms?
- Why and how should we evaluate sources?
- What did you learn about your own media consumption during the “diary” exercise?
- Slideshare – what it is and why we use it in class
- Demo how to find the embed code and embed a presentation
- For Discussion Leaders : demo how to find scholarly articles on the UW library website (show off-campus login and journals)