week 5 – Monday (18 July 2011)
Personal Learning Networks
- Lab (tools and exercises)
- Check for “x”
- If ‘x’ is missing, upload assignment again using assignment sheet. In URL field, put the week of the assignment in before you paste the URL. Emailing me isn’t working in terms of work flow.
- If you do readings in advance, please put the week of the reading in the URL field.
- What are PLNs and why are they important?
- Help sift through data to identify useful, relevant information
- Help identify learning resources and opportunities
- Provide coaching and answers as you apply your learning
- Share wisdom through dialogue
- The Internet of Things (50B, 1T?)
- New Tweet per second record
Lab (exercise with Diigo)
2. Read & comment (highlight)
- DL Group 1: NYT article about teens, the Internet and personal branding (Diigo link)
- DL Group 2: Apps pass songs in downloads on iTunes (Diigo link)
- DL Group 3: Bulletins from the future – news media (Diigo link)
- DL Group 4: Murdoch scandal tainting US media (Diigo link)
- DL Group 5: Information is power (Diigo link)
3. Install the Diigolet on Firefox (not MSIE) in the lab (hopefully you can do this). Then find an article relating to information networks – personal or otherwise – and “bookmark” it to the class group. Give it a description and some tags that are appropriate to the article. Think of tags as “adjectives”.